Difference between revisions of "Fairfield County, Ohio Genealogy"
(added library information)
|Line 151:||Line 151:|
===== Libraries =====
===== Libraries =====
===== Museums =====
===== Museums =====
Revision as of 14:33, 28 September 2012
- This article is about a county in Ohio. For other uses, see Fairfield (disambiguation).
|Fairfield County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||December 9, 1800|
|Address|| Fairfield County Courthouse|
224 East Main Street
Lancaster, Ohio 43130
Fairfield County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biography
- 3.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 3.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5 Census
- 3.6 Church Records
- 3.7 Court Records
- 3.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Military
- 3.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.17 Newspapers
- 3.18 Obituaries
- 3.19 Periodicals
- 3.20 Probate
- 3.21 Public Records
- 3.22 Repositories
- 3.23 Taxation
- 3.24 Vital Records
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 Places
- 6 References
Fairfield County Courthouse
224 E Main Street PO Box 370
Lancaster, OH 43130-3842
County Judge has birth records 1803-1907, marriage, death
and probate records; Clerk Court has divorce records from
1860 and court records from 1800; County Recorder has
land records from 1803
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Ross and Washington Counties in 9 December 1800.
- County Seat: Lancaster
- Neighboring Counties: Fairfield County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Licking (north) · Hocking (south) · Pickaway and Franklin (west) · Perry (east)
See an interactive map of Fairfield County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
The Fairfield County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society has published readings of all of the cemeteries in Fairfield County. A surname index is available on their website.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
1883 History of Fairfield and Perry Counties, Ohio...Their Past and Present Containing A comprehensive history of Ohio; A complete history of Fairfield and Perry Counties: Their townships, cities, villages, towns, schools, churches, societies, industries, statistics, etc; A history of their soldiers in the late wars; Portraits of early settlers and prominent men; miscellaneous matter; maps of the counties: biographies and histories of pioneer families. Compiled by A. A. Graham, illustrated... Chicago: W. H. Berrs & Co. 1883 is available online.
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Fairfield County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fairfield County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Fairfield Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
503 Linwood Dr
Lancaster, Ohio, 43130
Wonderful resources, much more so than the Public Library
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. USGenWeb for Fairfield County, Ohio is available online.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fairfield County, Ohio. Page 541 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Fairfield County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfield_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).