Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts Genealogy
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
7 June 1670: Suckanesset bounds mentioned. (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol. V, p. 41.)
7 June 1681: Bounds between Suckanesset and Sandwich established.
4 June 1686: Suckanesset established as a town, "... to become a township and have the previledges of a town..." (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol. VI, p. 189.)
14 September 1694: Falmouth mentioned in the tax act. (Prov. Laws, Vol. I,p. 178.)
28 November 1735: Bounds between Falmouth and lands of the proprietors of Mashpee confirmed.
17 March 1841: A tract of land formerly in the plantation of Mashpee annexed.
19 March 1880: Bounds between Falmouth and Sandwich established.
18 June 1885: Bounds between Falmouth and Mashpee established.
15 May 1990: Town charter adopted.
Sacconeesett, Scipuiszet, Seipuiszet, Suckanesset
Section/Villages within the town: Acapesket, Ashumet Pond, Chapaquoit, Davisville, East End (extinct), East Falmouth, Falmouth Heights, Falmouth Village, Hatchville, Maravista, Megansetts, Menauhant, North Falmouth (previously called Neyville), Otis Air Force Base, Quissett, Saconnesset, Silver Beach, Sippiwessett, Teaticket, Waquoit, West Falmouth, Woods Hole.
Wikipedia: Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 March 1678: Eastham and purchasers on both sides to settle the bounds.
16 June 1763: Part established as the district of Wellfeet.
14 July 1772: Part of Harwich annexed.
3 March 1797: Part established as Orleans
9 March 1839: Part annexed to Orleans.
26 April 1847: Part annexed to Wellfeet.
23 March 1867: Bounds between Eastham and Orleans established and part of each town annexed to the other town.
6 May 1887: Bounds beteen tidewaters of Eastham and Wellfleet established.
Bayview Cemetery (1849)
Church of the Messiah Episcopal Churchyard (1788)
22 Church St., next to the Church of the Messiah
Crowell Family Cemetery (1848)
across from 856 Main St, Rte 28A
Davisville Cemetery (1845)
Davisville Rd, off Pasnecoy Lane
East End Cemetery (1796)
Falmouth Jewish Cemetery (1994)
7 Hatchville Rd, next to the Falmouth Jewish Congregation Temple
Friends Cemetery (1688)
Indian Burying Ground Site
behind the North Falmouth Public Library
Methodist Society Burial Ground (1809)
between 704 and 744 East Main St
North Falmouth Cemetery (1804)
Main Rd, behind the Congregational Church
Oak Grove Cemetery (1808)
Old Burying Ground (1705)
off Mill Rd
Old Friends Cemetery (1689)
off Blacksmith Shop Rd (no stones)
Robinson Family Cemetery aka Sady's Lane and Ennsbrook Road Cemetery (1801)
86 Sady Lane
St. Anthony's Cemetery (20th century)
off Acapesket Rd, behind St. Anthony's Church
St. Joseph's and St. Patrick's Cemetery (19th century)
Village Cemetery (1788)
Waquoit Cemetery (1849)
Rte 28, Main ST.
Private cemetery, south of East Falmouth Highway
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums