FamilySearch Communities: Administrator Community
It is our pleasure to welcome you to our growing team of community administrators. It has been exciting to see so much research help provided since the first communities were introduced in May 2011. FamilySearch joins with all our community members in thanking you for joining our community of volunteers.
This guide is meant to be informative as you begin your journey as a leader in these online communities. Please take a few minutes to review the information and become familiar with FamilySearch's vision for your communities. Keep note of questions you have along the way and don't hesitate to ask.
Contact FamilySearch Sponsors or other members of the community by:
- Leaving a message on the Discussion/Talk page for the wiki page from which you have a question
- Posting a comment on the Genealogy Research Community Admins Facebook group
- Conversing in the Research Community Admins group chat on Skype (How to join)
Our Administrator Community
As administrators, we make up a community of researchers and family historians who have developed expertise in locating genealogical resources in specific states and countries. We have had success in identifying our own ancestors, have helped others to do the same, and have a desire to provide an additional avenue of assistance through social media. The broader volunteer community includes all members of each genealogy research community as they have an opportunity to answer each other's questions. We, as administrators, take a leadership role to encourage others to share what they know. Using social media to share information extends our reach and increases the potential for attracting new community members who may become interested in family history research.
To make these FamilySearch communities as efficient and useful as possible, multiple administrators will share responsibilities in each community. Our goal is for all administrators to have a positive experience through working together and ensuring that each community will be a successful and welcoming resource to the public.
In addition to the community administrators that are assigned to each community, FamilySearch staff members will also be listed as administrators and are available as community sponsors to assist in any way necessary. These FamilySearch sponsors include:
- Michael McCormick - Facebook Community Development, Training
- Fran Jensen - Social Media Manager
- Art Johnson - Help as a Service Manager
- Nathan Miles - Management Reports
Sponsors are here to help you and ensure that you have the tools you need to make this community a fun, informative place for researchers to visit.
Several other individuals have a unique role in our communities. Periodically, other staff, missionaries, or volunteers are invited to use their specific talents to help the entire administrator community.
Current special roles include:
- Andrew Bavelas - Quality Assurance
- Janett Call - Historical Records
In addition to FamilySearch sponsors, you will also have a volunteer regional manager whom you can go to for help. Each region generally has 5-10 communities. Regional managers are experienced volunteers who help facilitate friendly communities through:
- Reaching out to the administrators in the communities covered by their region to offer encouragement, congratulations, or advice
- A successful regional manager will take initiative in building a working relationship with and between the administrators in the communities he or she oversees (expect a minimum of 3-5 hours per week)
- Leading by example, fulfilling the responsibilities and best practices of an administrator in their community and/or communities of choice (regional managers should not do all the responsibilities of their region, but rather facilitate collaboration between volunteers)
Current regions and regional managers include:
- New England (US) - Cathy Napolitano
- Mid-Atlantic (US) - N/A
- Midwestern (US) - Mary J. Saylor
- Mid-South (US) - Fran Ellsworth
- Gulf-South (US) - N/A
- Great Plains (US) - N/A
- Mountain West (US) - N/A
- Pacific States (US) - N/A
- Canada and British Isles - Deb Dunn
- Scandinavia - Bradley Marchant
- Latin America - Debbie Gurtler
- Continental Europe - Betseylee Browning
- Oceania - Michelle Patient
- Asia - N/A
- Africa and Middle East - Kelly Erickson
See a graphic that shows the leadership of the administrator community