FamilySearch Wiki:Community Council/Minutes
Minutes of the Council meetings will be posted here.
December 12, 2012
Agenda items from Chair, Jane Colmenares:
- When they do the next release, protected pages will be able to use full html
- Recording Secretary: Steve Cotrell
- Non-functioning moderators
- Images - change in policy not allowing living people in images.
- FamilySearch Centers want to post pictures of living people using their computers, etc.
- Yes, set specific uses, and loosen the policy to allow appropriate images, and all identifiable people giving release.
- Forums - FamilySearch is discontinuing forums 12/31/12. Where we would like to see the wiki forums moved?
- Suggestions were: Google communities; or Google Plus;
- we have the option to wait until FamilySearch decides where they are going;
- problem with Wiki is that using talk pages doesn't come naturally, and if not watching a page, we are not notified of discussions;
- Liquid Threads was mentioned for turning Wiki talk page to threads;
- Get Satisfaction link;
- After discussion: two options were strongest: Going the way FamilySearch goes or use Get Satisfaction
November 28, 2012
Next meeting: Non-functioning moderators. Jane has a list with notes, such as no responses for a minimum of 3 times, (and not active in the past 120 days). Moderator is first line of contact especially when disputes, etc. After moderators, we'll discuss the same point with adopters.
- We need someone to coordinate, teamwork
- Barnraising committee, everyone selected swoops in on an area - adopters
- Uniformity of presentation
What do we think we can achieve beyond what FamilySearch tasked this council with?
- Use the Wiki contributors newsletter to show the rules, etc. We as a group can feed into that and get people into action.
- Also use the blog.
- Coordinating projects:
- Avoiding duplication
- This group facilitates community relationships. We notice areas of duplication, get them work together. Coordination.
- Issues: resolving them, such as how the wiki promotes professional genealogists.
- Recommending pros is a minefield.
- We need to present it in a way that is helpful to the users and that professional organizations could support as well.
- People need a voice. We listen to issues, seek to get the right people involved and communicating to resolve them.
- Next contributors newsletter: tell the community who we are, invite their suggestions.
- FHLC issues discussed. Monmouthshire not part of England -- wiki can explain and have redirects
- Please use the email of the group members to follow up on thoughts from this meeting.
November 14, 2012
An initial meeting was held where each member had the opportunity to introduce themselves to the other council members. Janell Vasquez, from FamilySearch, talked through the Council Charter covering the purpose and working with the council members to refine some of the membership/terms of the Council. Jane was selected to be the Council Chair.
The date of the next meeting was set as Wednesday November 28 with a view to meet every second Wednesday thereafter.