FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 7 February 2013
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
- Drew Bartley (Boston) working on content for Wiki
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
Community Council Report
Surnmame pages discussion. Found Chinese Surnames page on Wikipedia. Will have links to various pages ABOUT surnames, and not genealogical information other than what is necessary to trace origins or meanings.
- Minutes are online for yesterday's meeting
- Discussion of Surname project suggested by Lee Drew - issues,etc. are summarized in the minutes. There is a concern about opening the door to individual names being added to the Wiki.
- Should be further explored but guidelines would have to exist
- Nathan Murphy has worked surnames on other pages - he would be a good reference person
- Pages would have to be fully developed
- Wikipedia has handled this very well.
- Different spellings would have to be addressed - separate pages or just on the main page?
- Would this project draw people in to the Wiki?
- Considering the extent of the work we need to do in the Wiki now, should we give resources to this kind of a large project?
- Volunteers could be used to populate these pages
- Next step to a decision of whether to pursue this as a project or to reject:
- This would cause a change to the scope of the Wiki - we would need a project proposal that would contain the discussion here and that would go to the Community Council and General Services Community Council
New Agenda Items
Heads-up: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Experiment (David Dilts). SEO is a way of designing Wiki pages to make them rank high on Google search result lists. We propose to test SEO techniques on five Wiki pages. If it significantly improves traffic to those pages after several months we can make similar changes to all Wiki pages that have reasonably good content. Proposed changes:
- Modify page titles, for example, Plymouth, Massachusetts would become Plymouth Massachusetts genealogy
- Add introductory lines or paragraph (154 characters) with carefully chosen key search terms of interest to genealogists varied from page to page according to content.
- Modify section headings to repeat key phrases, bold key phrases in text, for example, the heading Vital Records would become Plymouth Massachusetts Vital Records
- Link to Wiki pages from social media like Facebook and Google+.
- Proposed pages for the SEO experiment:
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Boston, Massachusetts
- New York City, New York
- Georgetown County, South Carolina
WARNING!: This may eventually cause us to change most Wiki page titles and content to attract a larger audience.