Difference between revisions of "FamilySearch Wiki:Help wanted on the Wiki"
m (FA template)
Revision as of 21:00, 16 November 2012
Beginning Contributors are needed
Building the Wiki could be compared to a barn raising.
A barn raising is accomplished with volunteers of all expertise levels -- from total beginners to master craftsmen.
Like a physical barn raising, a wiki barn raising needs a variety of people. While it requires experts who can design the information architecture, the look and feel of the content section, the elements of a good article, and the way in which the various pages will interlink, it also needs folks who can do research for good record sources, find information already on the Internet regarding a topic, correct spelling mistakes and grammar, add headings to articles, transfer information from other sources to the wiki, and many other tasks. Whatever your expertise level, there's a place for you in a wiki barn raising.
What tasks could a beginning contributor do?
- Find pages that could use some TLC, such as Stubs, or Short Pages. There might be a section in these articles that you could enhance by adding content, or even just spell-checking.
- Are you interested in a specific area? Could you add research tips to pages in that area that are in a specific section of the article, such as cemeteries?
- Another possibility would be to watch genealogy blogs for press or news releases that could be added to the Wiki, if they're not time sensitive.
US County pages
Is there something specific that is missing from several of them?
- Suppose several County pages are missing information about local libraries. Could you use an internet site, such as PublicLibraries.com to locate the libraries for each county and add the link to the page?
- Add links to the Family History Center pages, if they're missing.
- How about looking for county histories on Googlebooks or Internet Archives and then adding them to the County pages?
- There are several on-going projects in the Wiki. There will be information for areas where help is needed. Many of the tasks would be good for a beginner.
- Help is available as you determine a task that you would like to do:
Learn more about ...
Projects Seeking Contributors
Maintaining the Help Content Committee
Maintenance and Patrolling Committee