When we “patrol” an article, it means that we read it to see if it contains appropriate content. We are not looking to see if subject matter is correct or if it is well written. We expect the contributor to do this. The following steps guide you in the process.
1. Log in with your username and password.
2. In the Toolbox on the right side of the screen, click Special Pages.
3. Scroll down and click New Pages.
4. Click on the title of an unpatrolled article. These articles are highlighted in the color yellow, and usually appear at the top of the list.
5. Read through the article. Look for:
a. Inappropriate content, such as offensive language.
b. Derogatory statements about people, things, etc.
c. Inappropriate images.
d. Content only on a person's own genealogy.
6. Scroll to the bottom and click [Mark this article as patrolled]. It appears on the right of the screen.
Note: When the article is patrolled, it is no longer highlighted on the list of New Pages. If you thought it was patrolled, and the title is still highlighted, refresh the screen.