FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio Tasks-Ancestry County Histories
WikiProject Ohio Wiki Project Ohio Tasks - Ancestry County Histories
The purpose of this task is to locate pertinent County Histories available on Ancestry.com and add the information and links to the FamilySearch Wiki.
New to the wiki?
- See Help to request individual mentoring or to join community discussions.
- See Editing Help – Online Video Demonstration.
- See Editing Articles – Online Class.
- Call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830 in North America for live help.
- M–F 8–5, except Thurs 11–5 (All times Mountain Time)
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to open a separate "window" for these instructions so that you won't lose them while following each step.
To Open another window:
- Click on a tab at the top of the brower and then navigate back to the FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio.
Or you may wish to print the instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
Specific Instructions for Ancestry County Histories
1. You will be adding information to the FamilySearch county page by editing in wiki text. *If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
2. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
3. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password (https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page)
4. Scroll to the sub heading, Local History, which is under the heading, History.
5. Click at the following ancestry.com link to go to Ancestry.com
6. Once at the Ancestry.com website, look to the right of the webpage and click on the county you have chosen to work on. A list of all databases and digital books for that county will appear.
7. Review the books listed under the section "Stories, Memories and Histories" to determine which ones may be added under the Local History section on the FamilySearch county wiki page.
8. Go back to the window you have open for the FamilySearch county wiki page and click the edit box, which is to the right of the heading, Local Histories. If "Local Histories" does not have an edit box, use the one to the right of "Histories." Then click on the word, wikitext, which will bring you to the wiki text field.
9. You will now enter the databases found in ancestry into the FamilySearch county wiki page under Local History.
The format is:
- (a) : (colon)
- If the format in the wiki is already established and does not have a colon, follow the format already established.
- (b) * (star)
- (c) The catalog entry with accompanying url link. [url(web address) of the collection SPACE title of the collection] The entire link and title must be enclosed by brackets [ ]
- Url (Web Address) of the collection: To get to the url or web address of the book, click on the title of the book, which will take you to another page. This is the page with the web address (url) that will go into the FamilySearch wiki.
- To add the url link, hover the cursor over the url or web address on the ancestry website page. This is at the top of the page in the web address box. Right click your mouse. This will highlight the address and an edit box will appear. Right click on COPY. Return to the wiki county page and after the [ right click and PASTE.
- Space It is important to but one space between the url and the title.
- Title of the collection: Author , [Title in italics]
- For the author,type the last name, comma, and then the first name. If there is the name of a society or a series of authors, type them as written. If there is not author indicated, begin the entry with the title.
- To make italics put two '' before and after the title. Be sure to capitalize the proper words in the title.
- End with a ]
- (d) Copy and paste the following phrase: at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com]
- (e) ($)
- (f) A brief description, if needed, such as "not complete," "index only," "index and images" or "transcription."
EXAMPLE In Wiki Text
- [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=30181 History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties:With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches] at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($); digitized book.
EXAMPLE – Finished Product
- History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties:With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches at Ancestry.com ($); book transcription.
EXAMPLE of complete History Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Preble County for adding ancestry county histories".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Preble County for ancestry county histories."
- Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!