FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Tasks Church LDS Phase 1a
This is task Phase 1a for LDS Church Records in Utah
The purpose of this task is to make it easier for users to learn about the Utah wards or branches their ancestors attended. This Phase 1a focuses on the Utah stakes and the wards and branches within them.
This task is to copy and adapt the pattern (found on the Discussion page) to LDS stakes. Details of stake boundaries will be added (with links to adjoining stakes) and a list of wards and branches within the stake.
First focus is on early and important areas: Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Washington, and Weber Counties. Once the stakes and wards are done for these areas, we will move to the rest of the state.
|It is easiest to have several windows or tabs open: one for this task page, one for the county page, one for the stake page, and both sites for Encyclopedic History (BYU and AncestryInstitution.com).|
Examples of stake pages
Have practiced with stake boundaries, wards and branches, AND timeline on the following:
Step 1. Identify a stake to add
From this task page:
- Click to a county that is not "Done" from the county list.
- From that county page, click a red link to a stake
- If none, click on each place on the county chart until you find one with a "red link" stake.
- When all places have been checked and all stakes have blue links, update this task page
- please type "Done" after the county name
- go to another county.
Step 2. Copy the stake pattern
A) Click the Discussion tab for this task page
B) Click "Edit This Page"
C) Select Wikitext
D) Highlight all (Ctrl+A) and copy (Ctrl+C)
E) Cancel edit
Step 3. Paste the pattern to the empty page
A) Go to the empty stake page (from Step 1).
B) Edit in Wikitext and paste the pattern
C) Fill in edit Summary box: "copied pattern" and Save page
Step 4. Adapt the Pattern
A) Breadcrumb trail:
- Change "Box Elder" to the current county in two places
- Change "Bear River" to the current stake
- Fill in edit Summary, "Breadcrumb", Save page
B) Get correct pages from Jenson's Encyclopedic History. This now requires both the BYU and the AncestryInstitution.com websites. Ancestry is far easier to find and copy information. BYU gives page numbers. In a previous email, ideas were given for how to do this.
C) Under "Obtain the Records":
- Change "Box Elder" to current county
D) Below "References"
- In Category, replace "Box Elder" with current county
- Type in the edit Summary box: "adapted to stake" and Save page
Step 4. Update the county page
From the work on the stake page, you have learned information that needs to be put on the county page, such as names of stakes and ward that don't have place names.
Compare the stake page and the county page side by side:
- Update the county page so all stakes are listed
- Add wards without place names to the appropriate area, with the link to the appropriate Stake page.
- See Salt Lake County example.
All counties are ready. Please write "Done" after a completed county.
Not yet ready: Salt Lake
Counties ready: Beaver · Box Elder · Carbon · Daggett · Duchesne · Emery · Garfield · Grand · Iron · Juab · Kane · Millard · Morgan · Piute · Rich · San Juan · Sanpete · Sevier · Summit · Tooele · Uintah · Wasatch · Wayne