FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Support/Administration
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:51, 29 November 2010 by JensenFA (added more details bat transparency)
Transparency in Development
- FamilySearch Wiki:Known Issues - be familiar with the issues listed on this page. Archive the items when needed. Support the issues by moving them through the process in JIRA and product engineering. Based upon the issue additional help content may be needed. When this happens, work with tier 2 to have existing Help articles updated or to get additional Help articles written.
- DevNet is the wiki development backlog that the community had access to for reporting bugs and requesting enhancements. They could use this site to communicate with the engineers and help troubleshoot bugs and add the documentation. This site has not been used by engineering for a long time, so when items are added by the community, they basically go into a black hole. The community was told that something better would come, but in the mean time use DevNet. The wiki still does not have something better to replace DevNet.
- FamilySearch Wiki:Project backlog - this page was originally created by the product manager for purposes of communicating with the wiki community all the development we had on the backlog for the wiki project. Some of the backlog were tasks that could only be done by an engineer. Others were items that any community member could help with. All community members who attended the technical Community Meeting were encouraged to help with the development by signing up for one of these projects. The list was hard to maintain and keep current by product management. There is still a need to be transparent with the development of the wiki, particularly with development projects that can be done by community members.
- New Features - this page was originally maintained by our Admin on Penny's team. Right now the wiki does not have an Admin on Penny's team. Consequently, this page is not being updated.
Some Wikipedia pages that have helped with development include:
- Wiki text markup articles: Wikipedia: How to edit a page and specifically the Wiki Markup section of the article.
- Help Template
- Template Messages
- ToDo template and list
- Community portal
- Management and development
- Build an easy way for users to know was templates are available for use in writing and editing content.
- The FamilySearch Wiki:Maintenance Templates page was a beginning step to make templates more visible to the community. The page only lists some of the maintenance templates. The templates were created with the old wiki when we had more horizontal room for content. Now the templates are too big on a page. Some redesign is needed. You could work with User:Cottrells because he has helped create a lot of our templates.
- Templates need to be easy to use. We receive many comments about not wanting to know the techie stuff, but still wanting to use the features and functions of a template.
- See the Magicwords page in the wiki.
Policies and Guidelines
- Governance in the wiki was developed as 80% preventative and 20% repair and based upon the policies and guidelines. We see Tier 2 supporting all the preventative measures and Tier 3 supporting the repair measures. The "Delete" templates are an example of a repair measure for content.
- Delete requests
- Delete ASAP requests
- Delete Portal requests
- FamilySearch Wiki:Policies/Proposed enhancements