FamilySearch Wiki talk:WikiProjects Seeking Contributors
What category should WikiProject pages have? Should there be more than one category? It would be nice to see an entire list of WikiProjects and the page Projects Seeking Contributors is not a complete list of WikiProjects. So incorporating a category for WikiProjects might be a good option. I'm looking for other ideas, so please add your thoughts. --Fran 01:10, 18 November 2010 (UTC)
- There is already Category:WikiProjects which could be sub-categorised by project type/locality. Also wikiprojects with numerous pages should have their own category which in turn are added to the main Category:WikiProjects or to a category for a parent project. For example Idaho has it's own Category:WikiProject Idaho which is currently a member of the main WikiProjects category, but it could become a child of an overall WikiProject USA. --Steve 08:45, 18 November 2010 (UTC)
Move page to FamilySearch Wiki namespace
All content in the Main namespace are candidates for automated lists, specifically Popular Articles and Random Articles. The project pages should not be candidates for these quick views into the content on the wiki. Therefore, moving this page to the right namespace is an appropriate step to be taken. When the page is moved, I don't think the page name needs to remain the same either, but maybe it's okay. Does anyone have thoughts about the name of this page should be in the project namespace?
- FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProjects Seeking Contributors
- Other ideas???
I noticed that this page is one that is linked to with every occurrence of the Welcoming committee’s “welcome” message, which there are tons of right now. Is there any easy way to move this page and not break the link to it that currently resides in ever welcome message on user talk pages?
- Once the page is moved then, links will not be broken as a redirect will be created. We could also use Special:ReplaceText to update all the links for the new location. (I received this reply from Steve
- I'm going to have to learn more about that ReplaceText tool. I'm sure that I do a lot of things manually that could easily be done with that tool. --Fran 15:57, 3 December 2010 (UTC)
Improving visual appeal and usage of this page
We have tried many times in the past to make a list of WikiProjects easy for the community to view, understand, and inviting for the community members to join or create a new project. Granted, in our efforts to create and improve this page, we have not spent a lot of time to design the page. Now's the time for this effort to take place and we would like your ideas! --Fran 16:06, 3 December 2010 (UTC)
- I think the details in the main sections should be in tables rather than in sub-sections as each sub-section is no more than a sentence. I think it would help produce a more readable/useful table of contents. --From Steve through email.
- I like the idea. Are there example out there somewhere that we could look at? --Fran 16:23, 3 December 2010 (UTC)