Farington, Lancashire Genealogy
FARINGTON, a township, in the parish of Penwortham, union of Preston, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (S.) from Preston; containing about 2500 inhabitants. This place was given, at the close of the 11th century, by the first baron of Penwortham to the abbey of Evesham. In the 10th of Edward III., William de Farington held certain portions of land here, and 14s. rent, in trust for the abbot. The manor appears to have been transferred at the Dissolution to John Fleetwood, the grantee of Penwortham priory and manor. The township comprises 1786a. 3r., all arable and pasture, with the exception of 61 acres in roads; the soil though various is excellent. The land lies high, and the scenery is extensive, embracing Rivington Pike, Pendle Hill, and the hills north of Preston: the river Lostock runs through the township. Here is a station of the North-Union railway: a line to Blackburn diverges from the railway here; and the Liverpool, Ormskirk, and Preston railway crosses it close to the station, joining the Blackburn railway between Farington and Bamber-Bridge. The village has considerably increased in size within the last few years; two new streets have been built. Farington mills, erected in 1834, are very extensive, and employ 1000 persons in spinning and weaving cotton; they are the property of Messrs. W. Bashall and Company, who have good mansions close by. A large tan-yard, belonging to Richard Bashall, Esq., was established sixty years ago, and is carried on by the firm of John Barrett and Co. A church, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated in 1840; it is in the Romanesque style, with a square tower and pinnacles, and was built at an expense of £1450, on a site given by Laurence Rawstorne, Esq., by whom, also, was given part of the land for the parsonage. To this church has been assigned an ecclesiastical district, comprising all Farington, and parts of Penwortham, Hutton, and Longton. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150; patron, the Incumbent of Penwortham. Schools are supported out of the funds of the Hutton School Trust; the salary of the master and mistress is £90 per annum: Messrs. Bashall, also, have built large schools, which they support. Several chalybeate springs exist in the neighbourhood of Higher Farington Hall.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 209-213. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50955 Date accessed: 30 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.