Fayette County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Fayette County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 20, 1824|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseFAYETTE COUNTY,
103 1st Avenue NE
Fayette, AL 35555
Phone: (205) 932-4617
Probate Judge has birth records 1884-1941, death records
marriage records from 1866, land records from 1848
and military discharge records from 1919
1866 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
1911--Fayette County Courthouse and much of the business section of Fayette destroyed by fire on March 24, 1911. Many county records lost. 
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Berry BillionGraves
- Bethlehem Cemetery, Fayette BillionGraves
- Musgrove Cemetery, Winfield BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Fayette County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Fayette County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fayette County p. 37. ; .
- "Fayette County, Alabama," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Fayette, AL Courthouse and Business Section Fire, Mar 1911 http://www3.gendisasters.com/alabama/10146/fayette-al-courthouse-business-section-fire-mar-1911