Fayette County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Fayette County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Fayette County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 28, 1831|
|Address|| Fayette County Courthouse|
100 Church Street
Fayette, WV 25840
Fayette County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death from 1866 Marriage, Probate and Land 1831 Clk Cir Court has divorce and county records
See an interactive map of Fayette County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Fayette County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Donnelly, Shirley. History of Oak Hill, West Virginia: a series of historical notes on the Fayette County metropolis from the time of its early settlement up to the year 1953.. FamilySearch Books Online
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Fayette County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
Regiments. Service men in Fayette County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fayette County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company I (Kanawha Rangers).
- - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (1st Kanawha Regiment). Company B (Mountain Cove Guards) and Company C (Fayetteville Rifles).
- - 59th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F1 (Jackson Avengers, Dixie Rifles).
- - 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (3rd Regiment, Wise Legion) (Confederate). Company C (The Dixie Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 Record Collection 1932429 Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1830-1854, 1857, 1861, 1864-1968 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Genealogical Society of Fayette and Raleigh Counties, Inc.
P O Box 68
Oak Hill, WV 25901-0068
Family History Centers
The closest family history centers is in Charleston Family History Center
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Fayette County Families
- Fayette County, WV
- Elkridge, Fayette County, West Virginia
- Fayette County, West Virginia History and Genealogy
- Family History Library Catalog
Learning How toEdit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fayette County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Fayette County, West Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayette_County,_West_Virginia, accessed 14 February 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- Terry D. Lowry, 22nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 44.
- G.L. Sherwood and Jeffrey C. Weaver, 59th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 107.
- J.L. Scott, 60th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 130.
- Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.