Difference between revisions of "Fence-in-Pendle, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (top-level category removed)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
== Parish History  ==
+
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>
+
BOOTH, OLD LAUND, a township, in the chapelry of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.) from Burnley; containing 481 inhabitants. It lies on the north-east side of Pendle forest, and consists of 246 acres, with scattered houses amidst tolerably wooded pastures. Old Laund Hall is a very ancient stronglybuilt fabric; it was some time since purchased by Mr. Greenwood, of Palace House, from the lords of Clitheroe. A church dedicated to '''St. Anne''' was built at Fence, in Old Laund, in 1837, and endowed by the late Mrs. Holden, of Palace House: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Holden family. There is a national school.
 +
 
 +
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 302-305. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50812  Date accessed: 30 June 2010.
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 19:55, 30 June 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Chapelry History

BOOTH, OLD LAUND, a township, in the chapelry of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.) from Burnley; containing 481 inhabitants. It lies on the north-east side of Pendle forest, and consists of 246 acres, with scattered houses amidst tolerably wooded pastures. Old Laund Hall is a very ancient stronglybuilt fabric; it was some time since purchased by Mr. Greenwood, of Palace House, from the lords of Clitheroe. A church dedicated to St. Anne was built at Fence, in Old Laund, in 1837, and endowed by the late Mrs. Holden, of Palace House: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Holden family. There is a national school.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 302-305. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50812 Date accessed: 30 June 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.