Find an ancestor using Historical Records
Search for Specific Historical Records or Collections
- When searching for records, we may not know how to find the records we need.
We may not even be aware that they exist.
- You will want to know as many of the following as possible:
- Name of the Record/Collection/Topic
- Location or area covered by the Record
- Time the record covers.
- Other Actions that may help to search the Wiki
Can you help me?
- Looking for answers to my Family History Questions, I came to the Family Search Wiki and asked "Can the Wiki help me?"
- By going to the wiki and following many of these steps we can often find sources that help.
How do I find the Carlisle Indian Industrial School?
1. We went to the Main Page
2. Browsed by county/ state or country and found:
3. Clicked on a county/state or country page or topic page that would lead to possible pages.
- You may find Topics on the right side of the page with many items to search:
- (example American Indians)
4. Clicked and searched.
- At the resulting page you should find a list of sources:
- (example: Indians of Pennsylvania)
5. Then within these sources you may find the item that you need:
Further Help for Beginners
- Principles of Family History Research
- Family History for Beginners
- Help:Keys to success using the Wiki
- FamilySearch Wiki:Success Stories
You can Help on the Wiki
You can help.
Check out the following links for things you can do to make the Wiki a better research tool.
Group Communication and Actions
We can work together and communication is a main part of that work. Therefore we have Forums that help us work with each other. The link below is to the three forums that are specifically for the Wiki. By reading the posts and posting our own ideas and questions we can help ourselves and others understand the goals and work on the Wiki.
We also can communicate to each other in several other ways
- We can discuss each of the pages and items on these pages by putting our comments on the page connected to each page.
- We can also talk to each of the User in the Wiki that are registered.