Finding a Genealogical Society in the United States
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 01:00, 30 July 2008 by Davide
Here are some suggestions for finding genealogical societies in the U.S.A.:
- Most Genealogical Societies can be found on cyndislist.com On the homepage you can search for a society or browse an alphabetical list of societies. To browse through the societies follow these steps:
- Go to http://www.cyndislist.com
- Scroll down on the homepage to the Societies and Groups section.
- Choose a letter of the alphabet and browse through the list
- The Federation of Genealogical Societies thas over 500 societies as members. Go to http://www.fgs.org/ to identify them and to search for specific locations under “Federation Member Societies”
- Try a Google search with the words “Genealogical Society plus area (e.g. Portland Oregon)” or Historical Society plus area. This will usually identify local specific resources.
- You can also do a search of this site. Use the search box with a combination of the words Societies and the location of interest (e.g. Societies New York).