First Nations of Canada
Native Americans, or American Indians in Canada are generally referred to as Aboriginal peoples, which include the First Nations, Inuit, and Métis (mixed blood).
Provinces and Territories
For additional information about the First Nations in each of the Provinces and Territories, see the links below:
Resources that may be helpful in the search for your Canadian Indian ancestry include:
- Join the Facebook or Skype Canada First Nations Genealogy Research Community!
- List of Tribes of Canada.
- Aboriginal Communities in Canada
- Canadian First Nations by Province
- Finding the Tribe or Band of a Canadian Aboriginal (American Indian)
- An online guide: Aboriginal Peoples—Guide to the Records of the Government of Canada.
- A list of Annual Reports 1864-1990, including Canadian government agencies responsible for Indian affairs over the years, can be found at Library and Archives of Canada
- A reference work that provides a history of the major Indian tribes of Canada is: Jenness, Diamond. Indians of Canada. Ottawa, Canada: National Museum of Canada, 1967. Seventh Edition. Family History Library Catalog book 970.1 J435i (no film)
- 1796 May 31, at New York with the Seven Nations of Canada
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
|News and Events|
|Did You Know?|