Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Fleming County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Fleming County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 10, 1798|
- 1 Fleming County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Fleming County Kentucky History
- 3 Fleming County Kentucky Places / Localities
- 4 Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy References
Fleming County Kentucky Courthouse
Fleming County Kentucky History
Effective 1/1/1824 Nicholas County was created from Fleming County.
Fleming County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Bald Hill||Dalesburg||Hill Top||Plummers Mill|
|Battle Run||Elizaville||Hillsboro||Poplar Grove|
|Carpentersville (hist.)||Flemingsburg||Muses Mills||Sherburne|
|Craintown||Grange City||Plummers Landing||Wallingford|
Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- Various biographies concerning citizens of Fleming County
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- USGenWeb's Fleming County site has numerous cemetery transcriptions as well as tombstone photos and information on current cemetery restoration projects
- Fleming County Poor Farm Cemetery
- Fleming Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Fleming County and links to the information for the individuals buried there
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Fleming County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries
- ePodunk list of Fleming County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site
For tips on accessing Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- 1840 Heads of Households and Revolutionary War Pensioners for Fleming County
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Churches in Fleming County ~ Information on a few of Fleming County's oldest churches.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Various Legal Matters in Fleming County
- Various Court Orders of early Fleming County
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Argo] Sharp, John L. From Adam to the Royalty of England and Scotland to the Families of Fleming County, Kentucky: or the Ancestors of Selvinous Dina Argo. Morehead, Ky.: J.L. Sharp, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 Ar38a
- [Asbury] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Bennington] Bennington Family [Will of William Bennington, Fleming County, Kentucky, 1801]. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638368 Item 3
- [Burgess] Reginald, R. The House of the Burgesses: Being a Genealogical History of Edward Burgess of King George and Stafford counties, Virginia, with His Sons - Garner Burgess of Fauquier Co., Virginia; William Burgess of Stafford Co., Virginia; Moses Burgess of Orange County, Virginia; Reuben Burgess of Rowan Co., North Carolina - and His Grandsons - Edward Burgess of Culpeper Co., Virginia; John Burgess of Harrison Co., Kentucky; Henry Burgess of Fleming Co., Kentucky; Edward Burgess of Scott Co., Kentucky; John P.B. Burgess of Halifax Co., Virginia; Edward Burgess of Kanawha Co., West Virginia; William Burgess of Davie Co., North Carolina; Reuben Burgess of Davie Co., North Carolina; and Thomas Burgess of White Co., Tennessee - Together with Their Known Descendants Named Burgess. San Bernardino, Calif.: Borgo Press, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 B912r
- [Fulton] Engle, Caroline Dayton. "Major Hugh Fulton of Augusta Co., Va., and Fleming Co., Ky.," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):65-67. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Heflin] Heflin, Donald L. Reuben Heflin of Somewhere in Virginia to Mason, Fleming & Mason counties, KY, 1785-1863. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H361hdd
- [Hester] Searl, Hester Geraldine Lester. Hester Genealogy, A Story of Some Descendants of John Hester and Early Settler of Fleming County, Kentucky, Who Arrived in America in the Year 1740. Patterson, Calif.: H.G.L. Searl, 1972. FHL Book 929.273 H469s
- [Hilligoss] Danell, Jennie. Hilligoss Family of Fleming County, Kentucky and Rush County, Indiana. Fresno, Calif.: J. Danell, 197-?. FHL Book 929.273 H558d
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince
- William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
- [Smith] Hall, William K. Robert Smith Born about 1732, Died about 1798 of Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania and Fleming County, Kentucky. St. Louis, Mo.: W.K. Hall, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 Sm51hb
- [Walton] Walton, John. "Job Walton of Fleming County, Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Mar. 1964):15-24. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 52
Local histories are available for Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- History of Elizaville, Fleming County
- Early Settlers of Flemingsburg, Fleming County
- Lost Town of Gath, Fleming County
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Condensed History of Fleming County, Kentucky (1908)
- Confederate Solders' Grave Locations in Fleming County
- Battle of Blue Licks Centennial Monument, Fleming County
- Battle of Hillsboro, from an 1861 article in a newspaper from Springfield, MA
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles (Confederate). Companies B and C.
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Newspapers and Magazines of Fleming County
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Various obituaries of citizens of Fleming County
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- Fleming County, Kentucky Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From various funeral homes in the Flemingsburg, Ewing, Elizaville, Hillsboro, Plummers Landing, and Wallingford areas.
- 1798-1966 - Will Books A to R (1798-1966) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Various wills filed in Fleming County at KY Kinfolk
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1860 - Fleming County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C517321 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Fleming County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517322 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Fleming County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517323 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1860 - Fleming County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M517321 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Fleming County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517324 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Fleming County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517325 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Fleming County KYGenWeb
- Fleming County KY, USGenWeb Archives
- Fleming County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- State of Kentucky Website
Fleming County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fleming County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.