Florida African Americans
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:52, 6 April 2012 by MarkhamMJ
United States Florida African Americans Online Resource
- Lowcountry Africana(@LCAfricana) is dedicated to documenting the family and cultural heritage of African Americans in the historic rice-growing areas of South Carolina, Georgia and extreme northeastern Florida.
- Florida African American Heritage
- Access Genealogy: Florida African American Genealogy
- Genealogy Center, African American Gateway: Florida, has links to societies, transcriptions of manuscripts, and a good bibliography of Florida books concerning African Americans.
- Brown, Canter, Jr. Florida's Black Public Officials, 1867-1924, (Tuscaloosa, Alabama : University of Alabama Press, c1998). FHL book 975.9 D34b
- Florida Memory, The Black Experience: A Guide to African American Resources in the State Library and Archives of Florida (accessed 6 April 2012).
- McGriff, Delbra D. The Black Experience: a Guide to Afro-American Resources in the Florida State Archives, (Tallahassee, Florida: Florida Department of State Division of Library and Information Services, 1991). FHL book 975.9 A1 no. 122 Revised 2002 digitized version.
- Documents Relating to the Military and Naval Service of Blacks Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor from the Civil War to the Spanish-American War, (Washington [District of Columbia] : The National Archives, 1973), on 4 microfilm reels FHL films 1601548-1601551.
- Freedman's Savings and Trust Company (Tallahassee, Florida), Registers of Signatures of Depositors, 1866-1872, (Washington [District of Columbia]: National Archives. Central Plains Region, 1969). FHL film 928575 item 4.
Archives and Libraries
- The Black Archives Research Center at the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU). The majority of the archival holdings are records about the history of Africans and African Americans, especially their institutions and organizations, with an impressive holding of manuscripts, rare books, journals, magazines, maps, newspapers, and photographs.
- Africana Heritage Project at the University of South Florida (USF). Their mission "is to rediscover precious records that document the names and lives of former slaves, freedpersons and their descendants, and share those records on this free Internet site."
- African-American Research Library and Cultural Center has branches in various locations. They have resources with information on local history and books from Africa, the Caribbean and North and South America.
- Florida African American Heritage Preservation Network (FAAHPN) "Its mission is to promote the preservation of African American landmarks and legacies...". It has a directory of Florida African-American museums with links to their web sites.
- Carol E. Mundy African American Cultural and Diasporic Research Center at the University of Central Florida promotes the study of African American history and research the history that pertains to the central Florida area.
- Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society, Central Florida Chapter
- Lee County Black History Society, has the Williams Academy Black History Museum.