Difference between revisions of "Floyd County, Georgia Genealogy"
(add Land introduction)
|Line 81:||Line 81:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
Revision as of 15:40, 9 May 2013
Guide to Floyd County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Floyd County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 3, 1892|
|Address|| Floyd County Courthouse|
3 Government Plaza
Roma, GA 30161
Floyd County Website
- 1 Floyd County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Floyd County Georgia History
- 3 Floyd County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Floyd County Georgia Genealogy References
Floyd County Georgia Courthouse
Probate Court has marriage and probate
records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce,
court and land records
Floyd County Georgia History
1832--Floyd County was created 3 December 1832 from Cherokee Indian Lands.
County seat: Rome 
Floyd County Georgia Places/Localities
Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- Cave Springs Cemetery, Cave Springs BillionGraves
St. Peter's Church, Rome
- 1843-1940 - St. Peter's Church, Rome, Baptism Index 1843-1940. Batch C712841 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1848-1940 - St. Peter's Church, Rome, Marriage Index 1848-1940. Batch M712841 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1940 - St. Peter's Church, Rome, Burial Index 1849-1940. Batch B393679 at FamilySearch - free.
Van's Valley Methodist Episcopal Church
- 1873-1885 - Van's Valley Methodist Episcopal Church Baptism Index 1873-1885. Batch C712821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1895 - Van's Valley Methodist Episcopal Church Marriage Index 1873-1895. Batch M712821 at FamilySearch - free.
1883 Rome City Directory Georgia Pioneers
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Marriages from old newspapers (1885-1886) Georgia Pioneers
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Index to Will Bk A (1852-1861) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Bk B (1861-1871) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Bk C (1871-1892) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns (1842-1851) Georgia Pioneers
- Digital Images of Wills (1852-1861) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1834-1877 - Floyd County Marriage Books A and B Index 1834-1877. Batch M712832 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1890 - Floyd County Marriage Books C and D Index 1876-1890. Batch M712833 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1895 - Floyd County Marriage Book E Index 1890-1895. Batch M712834 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-50, 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Floyd County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Floyd County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Floyd County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
Floyd County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Floyd County, Georgia. Page 155 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.