Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy
|Floyd County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Floyd County, Virginia
100 East Main Street Room 200
Floyd, Virginia 24091
- Clerk Circuit Court has birth and death records 1852-1872, marriage, divorce, probate, court, and land records from 1831.
The county was named after Virginia Governor John Floyd (1783-1837).
- Lost census: 1890
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-18721
- Tombstone Transcription Project Floyd County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Floyd County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Floyd County families. To view a list, visit Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Floyd County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Floyd County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Floyd County, p. 79. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Floyd County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 10, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1966):74-75. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
Indexes to Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of the following Floyd County birth record online at Ancestry:
- Floyd County, Virginia Births, 1853-73 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Floyd County, Virginia Births, 1873-79 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Floyd County, Virginia Births, 1880-84 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Fisher, Therese A. Marriages in the New River Valley, Virginia : Montgomery, Floyd, Pulaski and Giles Counties. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1991. Available at FHL.
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of the following Floyd County death records online at Ancestry:
- Floyd County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-82 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Floyd County, Virginia Deaths, 1883-96 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- Bassett Historical Center, Bassett, Virginia. Website includes descriptions of collections. Excellent resource for family history research in Henry, Patrick, Floyd, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties in Virginia, the city of Martinsville, Virginia, and Rockingham, Stokes and Surry counties in North Carolina.
Family History Centers
- Floyd County, VirginiaUSGENWEB.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Alice J. Sweeney, "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3, available online at: http://www.vgs.org/vgsn2804.pdf.