Ford County, Illinois Genealogy
|Ford County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 17, 1859|
|Address|| Ford County, Illinois Courthouse|
County Clerk and Recorder
200 West State Street
Paxton, Illinois 60957
Circuit Court Clerk
P.O. Box 80
Paxton, Illinois 60957
- 1 Ford County Organization
- 2 Historical Records
- 3 Boundary Changes
- 4 Resources
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Ford County Organization
Ford County's civil records start the following years:
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Adams County are kept, see the Ford County Courthouse page.
Ford County is named for Thomas Ford, the eighth Governor of Illinois.
- 17 February 1859: Ford County was created from Clark County. 
Note:An earlier attempt to create Holmes County (proposed), on 31 January 1857 in the same general area, was unsuccessful. (Ill. Laws 1859, pub., pp. 29-33) (source:Newberry Library}
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Ford County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Ford Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Ford County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ford County.
- - 76th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ford County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)