Fort Halleck, Kentucky

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:10, 22 May 2013 by Laurelroots (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Halleck was a Civil War fortification on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River above Columbus, Hickman County, Kentucky.

The Confederate Army first built defensive earthworks on the bluff in the fall and winter of 1861 and named them Fort DeRussy. In March 1862, the fortifications were abandoned by Confederate forces, taken over by the Union Army , and renamed Fort Halleck after Major General Henry W. Halleck.

Remains of the fort, which was decommissioned after the war, can be seen in the Columbus-Belmont State Park.

Additional Information

United States - Military - Civil War, 1861-1865 Kentucky - Military - Civil War, 1861-1865