Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Franklin County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Biography
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church Records
- 4.5 Court Records
- 4.6 Land and Property
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Periodicals
- 4.12 Probate Records
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 4.15 Voting Registers
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseFranklin County Courthouse
410 North Jackson Ave.
Russellville, AL 35653, (256) 332-8861
Records burned 1890
Probate Judge has marriage, probate and land records from 1890
Clerk Circuit Court has court records from 1923 and divorce records
1818--Franklin County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee and Chickasaw Cession of 1816.
County seat: Russellville 
1890 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Biographies of many notable residents of Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 1027.
- Shady Grove Cemetery, Phil Campbell BillionGraves
|Franklin County, Alabama|
Land and Property
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 102.
Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Franklin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Franklin County.
- - 1st Battalion, Alabama Artillery, Company F
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Valley Leaves. 1966–. Published by the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807. FHL Book 976.19 B2v. Website identifies articles relating to Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy (click "Search by County").
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Franklin County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Franklin County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County p. 37. ; .
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).