Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Franklin County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
410 North Jackson Ave.
Russellville, AL 35653, (256) 332-8861
Records burned 1890
Probate Judge has marriage, probate and land records from 1890
Clerk Circuit Court has court records from 1923 and divorce records
<ref name="HBG">Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County p. 37. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.</ref>
1818--Franklin County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee and Chickasaw Cession of 1816.
County seat: Russellville 
1890 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Shady Grove Cemetery, Phil Campbell BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).