Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Franklin County Courthouse
218 St. Clair St.
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Franklin County Courthouse
P.O. Box 678
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-0678
502-564-7013 or 502-564-8380
Boundary Changes 
1790--Franklin County was part of Jefferson, Woodford, and Mercer Counties.
1795--Franklin County was created.
1800--Franklin County included part of Anderson and Owen Counties. A section of Franklin County was included in Shelby County.
1810--Same as 1800.
1820--Franklin County included part of Anderson County. A small section of Franklin County was located in Henry County.
1830--The boundaries of Franklin County are permanently established.
Places / Localities
|Benson||Forks of Elkhorn||Hodge (hist.)||Peaks Mill|
|Big Eddy||Fox Gap (hist.)||Honeysuckle (hist.)||Polsgrove|
|Bon Air Hills||Flag Fork||Indian Hills||Roberts (hist.)|
|Bridgeport||Frankfort||Jett||Shadrick Ferry (hist.)|
|Bryant||Gibbs Road (hist.)||Kennebec||Slickway|
|Elmville||Glore (hist.)||Knights (hist.)||Swallowfield|
|Elsinore||Gregory (hist.)||Lucas Lane (hist.)||Woodlake|
|Evergreen||Harp (hist.)||Mount Zion (hist.)|
Cemetery records in Franklin County, Kentucky are difficult to find. A good source to search is Franklin County GenWeb Kentucky site
The Kentucky Historical Society has an online Cemetery Database.
A good resource for information concerning people living in the Forks of the Elkhorn area is:
- Darnell, Ermina Jett. Forks of Elkhorn Church. Louisville, Kentucky : Standard Printing Co., 1946.
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
The Kentucky Historical Society, in Frankfort, Kentucky, has a great newspaper collection.
- Births begin in 1852
- Marriages begin in 1795
- Deaths begin in 1852
The Family History Library has copies of the vital records starting with above dates.
To order vital records from Franklin County, you may order online at:
Societies and Libraries
Paul Sawyier Library (Frankfort): http://www.pspl.org/
Kentucky Historical Society (Frankfort): http://history.ky.gov/
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (Frankfort): http://www.kdla.ky.gov/
- Bald Knob
- Forks of the Elkhorn
- Frankfort City
- Peaks Mill
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987).