Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Franklin County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1794|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Franklin County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
Franklin County Courthouse
218 St. Clair St.
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Franklin County Courthouse
P.O. Box 678
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-0678
502-564-7013 or 502-564-8380
Boundary Changes 
1790--Franklin County was part of Jefferson, Woodford, and Mercer Counties.
1795--Franklin County was created.
1800--Franklin County included part of Anderson and Owen Counties. A section of Franklin County was included in Shelby County.
1810--Same as 1800.
1820--Franklin County included part of Anderson County. A small section of Franklin County was located in Henry County.
1830--The boundaries of Franklin County are permanently established.
Places / Localities
|Benson||Forks of Elkhorn||Hodge (hist.)||Peaks Mill|
|Big Eddy||Fox Gap (hist.)||Honeysuckle (hist.)||Polsgrove|
|Bon Air Hills||Flag Fork||Indian Hills||Roberts (hist.)|
|Bridgeport||Frankfort||Jett||Shadrick Ferry (hist.)|
|Bryant||Gibbs Road (hist.)||Kennebec||Slickway|
|Elmville||Glore (hist.)||Knights (hist.)||Swallowfield|
|Elsinore||Gregory (hist.)||Lucas Lane (hist.)||Woodlake|
|Evergreen||Harp (hist.)||Mount Zion (hist.)|
African American Research
- Bellardo, Lewis J. "Frankfort, Kentucky, Census of Free Blacks, 1842," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 63, No. 4 (Dec. 1975):272-275. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 63
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Franklin Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Franklin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Franklin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Franklin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Cemetery records in Franklin County, Kentucky are difficult to find. A good source to search is Franklin County GenWeb Kentucky site
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- A good resource for information concerning people living in the Forks of the Elkhorn area is:
- Darnell, Ermina Jett. Forks of Elkhorn Church. Louisville, Kentucky : Standard Printing Co., 1946.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Major] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- The Kentucky Historical Society, in Frankfort, Kentucky, has a great newspaper collection.
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- Births begin in 1852
- Marriages begin in 1795
- Deaths begin in 1852
The Family History Library has copies of the vital records starting with above dates.
To order vital records from Franklin County, you may order online at:
Societies and Libraries
Paul Sawyier Library (Frankfort): http://www.pspl.org/
Kentucky Historical Society (Frankfort): http://history.ky.gov/
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (Frankfort): http://www.kdla.ky.gov/
- Bald Knob
- Forks of the Elkhorn
- Frankfort City
- Peaks Mill
Family History Centers
- Franklin County, Kentucky: http://courts.ky.gov/counties/Franklin/
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987).