Franklin County, Massachusetts Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The legislature approved special charters to allow Franklin and Hampshire counties to become regional councils of government.
Franklin County; 425 Main St; Greenfield, MA 01301-3313; Ph. 413.774.7011 Details: (Clk Cts has div & ct rec from 1811; Reg of Pro has pro rec; Reg of Deeds has land rec) Towns Organized Before 1800: Ashfield 1765, Bernardston 1762, Buckland 1779, Charlemont 1765, Colrain 1761, Conway 1767, Deerfield 1677, Gil 1793, Greenfield 1753, Hawley 1792, Heath 1785, Leverett 1774, Leyden 1784, Montague 1754, New Salem 1753, Northfield 1714, Orange 1783, Rowe 1785, Shelburne 1768, Shuetesbury 1761, Sunderland 1714, Warwick 1763, Wendell 1781, Whately 1771, Williamsburg 1771
- Named for Benjamin Franklin
Places / Localities
- US Vol. 24
- page 87 - Atwood Family cemetery
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—A free searchable index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free searchable index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
- 1858 map of Franklin County
- 1871 map of Franklin County
- 1890 map of Greenfield area
- 1895 map of Franklin County
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977), Pittsfield, MA newspapers (1858-1977), and Fitchburg. MA newspapers (1868-1977) covering local news that included Franklin County residents.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Franklin County MA GenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Franklin County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Franklin County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Franklin County
- Massachusetts Genealogy Franklin County Genealogy
- Kindred Trails Franklin County Massachusetts Genealogy
- Cyndi's List Franklin County
- Local History and Genealogy Index Franklin County, Massachusetts
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].