Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Franklin County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin County, Mississippi|
| Map of Mississippi highlighting Franklin County|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Address|| P O Box 297|
Meadville, MS 39653
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Occupations
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Brief History (Pre-1817) of Franklin County, Mississippi, USGenWeb for Franklin County, Mississippi
- 01 Mar 1808 Mississippi Territory authorized the creation of Franklin County from Wilkinson County, but the creation never took effect and it was not mapped. (HRS Miss., St. and Co., 17)
- 21 Dec 1809 Franklin was created by the Mississippi Territory from Adams, Amite, and Wilkinson counties. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 97)
- 22 Dec 1809 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 03 Dec 1810 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. FRANKLIN boundary with WILKINSON was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 09 Dec 1811 FRANKLIN lost to creation of MARION. (Miss. Terr. Stat., pp. 104-105)
- 12 Feb 1819 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1819, 1st sess., p. 14)
- 29 Jun 1822 FRANKLIN gained from JEFFERSON. (Miss. Laws 1821-1822, 5th sess. adj., p. 274)
- 21 Jan 1823 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON and lost to creation of COPIAH. (Miss. Laws 1822-1823, 6th sess., ch. 36/p. 100 and ch. 49, secs. 1, 7/pp. 117-118)
- 07 Apr 1870 FRANKLIN lost to creation of LINCOLN. FRANKLIN boundary with AMITE was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Laws 1870, reg. sess., ch. 55, secs. 1-2, 8/pp. 129, 132)
- 10 May 1871 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1871, reg. sess., ch. 264/p. 647)
- 04 Apr 1873 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1873, reg. sess., ch. 50/p. 202)
- 09 Feb 1875 FRANKLIN gained from LINCOLN. (Miss. Laws 1875, reg. sess., ch. 29/p. 56)
See Mississippi: Individual County Chronologies, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
1877--Some records were lost.
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Franklin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Franklin County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Stockdale Rangers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Franklin Rifles
- Company K - Quitman Rifles
- Company E - Franklin Beauregards
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Franklin County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1816-1899 - Marriages On-Line Index: Franklin County, Mississippi. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1818-1928 - Franklin County Marriage Books 1-6 Index 1818-1928 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.