Garston, Lancashire Genealogy
Garston St Michael, Church Road is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Childwall,_Lancashire Ancient Parish.Other places in the parish include: Speke.
Garston is a district of Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It is bordered by Aigburth, Allerton, and Speke.
Gaerstun, meaning 'grazing settlement' or 'grazing farm' in Old English, is one possible root of the name.
In Medieval times, Garston was home to a group of Benedictine monks. The first recorded mention of settlement in Garston is of the church of St. Michael in 1235. By the 19th century, the area had become a small village, one of the eight townships forming the parish of Childwall.
A small dock was first built at Garston in 1793 for Blackburne’s saltworks, which still stands today.
Garston's growth accelerated rapidly in the 1840s, when in 1846, the area's first dock was constructed and opened, under the auspices of the St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway Company. The "Old Dock" was followed twenty years later by a second, the "New Dock" . In 1902, Garston was incorporated into the City of Liverpool.
The present day church of St Michael is the third to occupy the site since the thirteenth century monastic settlement. It was built in the 1870's and consecrated 29 November 1877.
The modern parish forms the Garston St Michael benefice in the Liverpool South Childwall deanery of the diocese of Liverpool and was formerly a Diocese of Chester parish.
GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office‡ under Liverpool. -The township includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3, 293; of which 1, 665 are water. Real property, £31, 643. Pop. in 1851, 2, 756; in 1861, 4, 720. Houses, 763.—The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2, 016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.