Georgia, United States Genealogy
- This article is about the southern U.S. state. For the Eurasian country, see Georgia (country).
|Georgia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
the Peach State
- Trustees sent 5000 British colonists
- In 1734 Salzburgers, central European Protestants, settled Effingham Co.
- From 1805-1832 GA held eight land lotteries to give away Indian lands
There are 159 counties in Georgia:click here.
Georgia State Archives · Georgia Genealogical Society · Georgia Historical Society · Atlanta History Center · Atlanta Public Library · Salzburger Society · National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta) · Dallas Public Central Library
Savannah River · Augusta and Cherokee Trail · Augusta-St. Augustine Trail · Augusta-Savannah Trail · Charleston-Ft. Charlotte Trail · Charleston-Savannah Trail · Cisca and St. Augustine Trail (or Nickajack Trail) · Coosa-Tugaloo Indian Warpath · Fall Line Road (or Southern Road) · Federal Horse Path · Fort Charlotte and Cherokee Old Path · Fort Moore-Charleston Trail · Georgia Road (or Federal Road) · Great Valley Road · King's Highway · Lower Cherokee Traders' Path · Lower Creek Trading Path · Macon and Montgomery Trail · Middle Creek Trading Path · Occaneechi Path · Old Cherokee Path · Old Trading Path · Savannah-Jacksonville Trail · Tugaloo-Apalachee Bay Trail · Unicoi Trail · Upper Road
- The Georgia GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Georgia
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Georgia, Births and Christeings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia Death Records, 1914-1927 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia Death Records,1928-1930 (FamiySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia Headright and Bounty Land Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Georgia Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Did You Know?
- Civil War soldiers from Georgia served in both the Union and the Confederate Armies. Indexes and the compiled military service records are available at the Family History Library and the National Archives.
- The Georgia Department of Archives and History has many volumes of Bible records that have been collected by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Georgia Blacksheep Ancestors has many indexes to help you locate infamous Georgia ancestors.
- Atlanta Historical Tidbits
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- E. Merton Coulter, and Albert Berry Saye, List of Early Settlers of Georgia (1967 reprint; Athens, Ga.: Univ. or Georgia Press, 1949). (FHL Collection Book 975.8 W2L; Fiche 6038205) [WorldCat entry], and Karen Buss, An every name index to "A List of the Early Settlers of Georgia" (Burbank, Calif:Southern California Genealogical Society, 1992) (FHL Collection Book 975.8 W2L 1967 index; Fiche 6038205).
- Alice Eichholz, ed., Redbook: American State, County, and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 146. (FHL Book 973 D27rb). [WorldCat entry].
- Georgia, Department of State, "Land Office Records, Index" (Atlanta, Ga.: Georgia Department of State, Microfilm Division, [19--). (FHL Collection Film 465173-84).