The Georgia Road, also called the Federal Road, was a federal toll road opened in 1805 from Savannah, Georgia across Cherokee Indian lands to Knoxville, Tennessee. After improvements in 1819 it was renamed the Federal Road.
The 1805 Treaty of Tellico allowed the construction of roads through Cherokee Indian lands. An old Cherokee trading path was used for much of the route of the George Road. It entered Cherokee land at the present Hall County–Jackson County line and headed toward present-day Ramhurst, where it forked, one trail went north to Knoxville and the other west to Chattanooga (Ross Landing) and Nashville. White squatters often settled near the road on Indian lands, and the Indians were soon forced to withdraw.
Settlers and Records
For partial list of settlers who used the Georgia Road, see .
- Wikipedia contributors, "Federal Road (Cherokee lands)," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands) (accessed 31 July 2010).
- "Federal Road" in New Georgia Encyclopedia at http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801 (accessed 31 July 2010).