Germany Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: Many Germany indexed birth and baptism records include in the Birthplace name, a reference to Evangelisch or Katholisch. These terms are religious affiliations (Protestant or Catholic), not place names.
NOTE: Some of the indexed records do not include the Event Date in the record detail page. These records appear to have a System Origin: Germany-ODM. In addition, these records have been duplicated, and in some cases, triplicated, and the date does appear in the search results page.
Question #1: Are records that are missing from the collection available?
Answer #1: Many records of christenings that occurred in Germany have been wrongly attributed to parishes in England. These records have been extracted in the Batches listed below, with the corresponding film numbers and incorrect parishes.
|BATCH NUMBER||FILM NUMBER||CHRISTENING PLACE||RECORD WRONGLY ATTRIBUTED TO:||NO. OF RECORDS|
|C00111-6||1055681||Stiftskirche Stuttgart, Württemberg||Warkworth, Northumberland|| |
|C00111-7||872873||Stadtlohn, Westfalen, Preußen||Warkworth, Northumberland|| |
|C00031-2||1055592||Gaisburg (Stuttgart), Württemberg||Smalley, Derby|| |
|C00031-3||1055601||Heslach (Stuttgart), Württemberg||Smalley, Derby|| |
|C00060-3||1192256||Hockenheim, Baden||Great Stainton, Durham|| |
|| Preußen, Westfalen, Schildesche
|| Embleton, Durham
|C00060-4||1192256||(Sennfeld) Hockenheim, Baden||Great Stainton, Durham|| |
|C00084-6||1056764||Beihingen (OA. Ludwigsburg), Württemberg||Ryton, Durham|| |
|C00098-8||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Heworth, Durham|| |
|C00098-9||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Heworth, Durham|| |
|C00099-0||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Lowick, Northumberland|| |
|C00225-7||957271||Sankt Emmeran, Mainz, Hessen||Greystoke, Cumberland|| |
|C00371-9||1055655||Stuttgart, Württemberg||Ampthill, Bedford|| |
|C97017-2||1049991 & 1049992||Westfallen, Rhede (Kreis Borken)||Westfallen, Rheda (Kr Wiedenbruck).|| |
Question #2: Some indexed entries have missing or incorrect information regarding the birth date, birth place, baptism/christening place, or film number. Is the missing/correct information available?
Answer #2: Birth/christening records that were previously viewed on FamilySearch may not currently be available online. This collection is one of three collections that were formed from a previous large FamilySearch collection. When the new collections were published, some of the records were omitted. This issue is being researched to determine when and if the purged records can be recovered. Since all of the records were extracted from microfilms that are still available, any missing records can be located by searching the Library Catalog and viewing the relevant films at a FamilySearch Center.
Known specifics concerning missing or incorrect information regarding the birth date, birth place, baptism/christening place, or film number are listed below:
- The birth date and birth place may be erroneously excluded from an indexed entry. In such cases, this information can be found on the search results page (prior to opening the record).
- Records from indexing project (batch) number C98446-5 include the wrong film number (569261). The correct film is Film 352010. The event place for the entire batch should be Hainfeld, Bayern, Germany.
- Records from Batch C95431-2 are from Film 565631. All records are from Niederfischbach, Rheinland, Preussen, Germany
- Records from Batch M00730-2 are from Film 1914112, Illinois Marriage records. 6 of the records found in a batch search relate to Germany births and baptisms.
- Records from Batch C96058-7, Film 1882637 are in the Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 collection. They have an event location as Russia, and should be in the Russia, Births and Baptisms, 1755-1917 collection.
- The correct film number for batch C99610-2 is Film 70741 not 70740 as given in the record details.
- Results from Batch C99864-2 gives film number 479298 which is Swedish Military Records. The correct film number is 579298.
- Batch C01395-3 is missing records from August, 1712 to 1743. They can be found on Film 187159, specifically for Taufen 1651-1743, from Katholische Kirche Mündelheim (Kr. Düsseldorf).
- Records from Batch C00458-8, Christening Place should be for Lamersdorf (Kr. Düren), Rheinland, Preußen, Germany, not for Lammersdorf (Kr. Montjoie), Rheinland, Preußen, Germany as indicated by the Film 174537 (which is a duplicate of the first three items of Film 174536).
- Records from Film 1340378 should have an Event Place of Naunheim, Hessen-Nassau, Preußen, Germany.
- Records from Batch C91132-3 should refer to Film 995356 and Birthplace: Crefeld, Rheinland, Preußen, Germany.
- Indexed records currently associated with Film 1044083 with a Christening Place: Katholisch, Hecklingen, Freiburg, Baden, Germany are actually from Film 996866 Taufen 1656-1899.
- Indexed records from Film 584840 with event place: Buchholz Boppard, Rheinland, Prussia should contain event place: Buchholz (Eckfeld), Rheinland, Preußen, Germany.
- Indexed records from Film 1048631 with Christening place and residence of Grötzingen, Baden, Germany should contain an event place of Götzingen, Baden, Germany.
- The Christening Place for Batch C39494-6 should be changed from Kirchdornberg, Westfalen, Preußen, Germany to Mettingen, Westfalen, Preußen, Germany. Records with Batch C39494-6 AND Film 582951 should be changed to Film 842577.
- Records in Batch C00469-3 are from civil registration Film 342014 and inappropriately contain christening place of Beuron, Baden, Germany, which one would expect from parish records. However, the records do contain christening information from Frankfurt.
- Batch C98808-3 is currently listed with Film 973470, the correct source film is Film 937470.
- Batch C05049-8 is incorrectly associated with Film 71835. Film 161715 is correct and the records are duplicated in Batch C92761-1 with Film 161715.
- Records in Batch C95967-1, Film 187296 are from Bergneustadt, Rheinland, Prussia, and not Neuwied, Rheinland, Prussia.
Question #3: Some batch searches show results from both Germany and England. Which is correct?
Answer #3: In some cases the same batch number has been given to two different film numbers, one from Germany and one from England. In other cases, the batch is from just one film but there has been an error by attributing the batch to two different locations. For example, see batches C00054-1 and C00054-3. The correct location can be determined by looking up the film description in the Catalog.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Germany Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records) Wiki Learn more page.
Return to the Germany Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 collection at FamilySearch.org.