Ghana Census, 1984 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Ghana, Census 1982-1984 .
- 1 Collection Time Period
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Records
- 4 Record History
- 5 Related Web Sites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Sources of Information for This Collection:
- 9 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Collection Time Period
The census collection of Ghana covers the year 1984.
The census was recorded in census registers, which include a title page summary and the enumeration pages with detailed information for each address taken. The text of the census is written in English.
The key genealogical facts found in this census records are:
- Detailed address of house
- Name of town
- Full names of usual members present at the house on census night
- Gender, age, birthplace, nationality, education, and occupation of each person listed
- Relationship to head of household
- Names of visitors present on census night, their gender, the relationship to the head of household, and their usual residence
- Names of usual members absent on census night, their gender, age, relationship to head of household, address on census night, and for how long absent
How to Use the Records
If unable to find information in civil or church registers, the census is the next good source to find vital and other interesting information. This census has a treasure of information which could allow a researcher to continue research in other vital sources.
The 1984 Ghana census was conducted with 140 local councils as administrative units. The enumeration registers have the imprinted year of 1982; however the census was conducted in March of 1984. The statistics for the census in 1984 recorded a population figure of 12.3 million inhabitants. The greatest concentration of population in 1984 was to the South of the Kwahu Plateau.
Why This Collection Was Created?
The census allows the government to gather statistical information on the growth of the population and many other social factors.
The census is reliable as the person who provided the information. Therefore, it is recommended to use this information as a way to continue research in other vital records such as civil and church records.
Related Web Sites
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
For guidelines to use in creating wiki articles that describe collections of images and indexes produced by FamilySearch, see: FamilySearch Wiki: Guidelines for FamilySearch Collections pages
Sources of Information for This Collection:
"Ghana, Census 1982-1984", database, FamilySearch (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch), 2009; from Public Records and Archives-Accra, Ghana. "Ghana census, 1982-1984"; Public Records and Archives Administration Department, Accra, Ghana. FHL digital folders. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
The format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections is found in the following link: How to Create Source Citations for FamilySearch Historical Records Collections
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections
Please add sample citations to this article following the format guidelines in the wiki article listed above.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org): September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org): April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023