Gila County, Arizona Genealogy
|Gila County, Arizona|
Location in the state of Arizona
Location of Arizona in the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1881|
|Address|| 1400 E. Ash Street|
Globe, AZ 85501
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Family History Centers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has marriage records from 1881
divorce, probate and court records from 1914
County Recorder has land records
Gila County is located northeast of Maricopa and Pinal Counties in Arizona. It contains some of the early settlements in Arizona going back to the 1870s. Gila County is named for the Gila River that flows through portions of the southern part of the county. 
Payson is the largest town today, its name came from a situation where the town needed a post office and a congressman was reported to have said that if they named the town Payson they would get a post office. The second town that took up the dare was Payson, Utah.
Other towns include Pine, Roosevelt, and Claypool. Defunct localities include 'Motel Point' where a motel once stood just yards northeast of the present-day Roosevelt Dam.
- 08 Feb 1881 Gila County was created by the Arizona Territorial Legislature from parts of Maricopa County and Pinal County.
- 12 Mar 1885 Gila County exchanged property with adjacent Graham County.
- 21 Mar 1889 Gila County added a portion of Yavapai County.
- 19 Mar 1891 Gila County gained additional land from Yavapai County. (Ariz. Terr. Laws 1891, 16th assy./ pp. 102-103)
|Bear Canyon Junction||Coolidge Dam||Hayden||Peridot||Spurlock|
|Bellevue||Copper Hill||Inspiration||Pinal||Star Valley|
|Canyon Day||Dagger||Kohls Ranch||Punkin Center||Sun Valley|
|Carrizo||Dehorn||Little Acres||Radium||Tonto Basin|
|Cedar Creek||Fort Apache Junction||Lower Miami||Rocky Junction||Tonto Village|
|Central Heights||Fort McDonald||McMillianville||Roosevelt||Top-of-the-world|
|Christmas||Gallups||Miami||Rose Creek Lodge||Washington|
|Christopher Creek||Gisela||Miami Gardens||Rye||Willow|
|Chrysotile||Globe||Midland City||San Carlos||Winkelman|
|Claypool||Government Hill||Mountain Meadow||Sawmill||Young|
- Mountain View Cemetery, Winkelman BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Gila County, Arizona Genealogy census records online, see: Arizona Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records: Globe, Hayden, Miami, Nephi and Pine.
- Many early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
- Gila County, Arizona Obituary and Death Notices Collection From GenealogyBuff.com ~ Free. This collection is from Various Funeral Homes in the Payson, Globe, Miami, Winkelman, Hayden, and Dudleyville areas.
Societies and Libraries
Arizona Cornish Society
P.O. Box 1
Claypool, Arizona 85532
Contact: Mrs Linda Carnahan
Northern Gila County Historical Society
PO Box 2532
Payson, AZ 85547
Gila County Historical Society
1330 N. Broad St.
Globe, AZ 85502
Hours 10-4 M-F; 11-3 Sat.
Family History Centers
1701 Ensign St
Globe, Gila, Arizona, United States
913 N Ponderosa St
Payson, Gila, Arizona, United States
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gila County, Arizona Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gila County, Arizona p. 56. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- See Barnes, Will C., and Byrd H. Granger. Arizona Place Names. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1960, p. 94. WorldCat 479862
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Arizona Territorial Laws 1885, 13th assy. p. 215
- Arizona Territorial Laws 1889, 15th assy. pp. 49-52
- Atlas of Historical County Boundaries, The Newberry Library, Chicago. Viewed on 11 November 2011.