Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Gilchrist County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gilchrist County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 4, 1925|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Gilchrist County Courthouse
112 S Main Street
Trenton, FL 32693
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1926. 
Places / Localities
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
Societies and Libraries
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Gilchrist County FLGenWeb
- State of Florida
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Gilchrist County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilcrhist County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).