Giles County, Virginia Genealogy
|Giles County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Giles County, Virginia
501 Wenonah Ave
P O Box 502
Pearisburg, Va 24134
Giles County Vital RecordsGiles County Clerk
120 North Main Street
Pearisburg, VA 24134-1625
The county was named after Virginia Senator William B. Giles (1762-1830), who later served as the Virginia's Governor.
- Lost census: 1890
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
Heinegg, Paul. "Giles County Register of Free Negroes, 1816-1864," Free African Americans.com, available online.
- Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians, Portuguese and Freed Slaves. Wytheville, Virginia: Kegley Books, 2003. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives. [Includes information from Giles County.]
- Tombstone Transcription Project Giles County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
- Giles County, Virginia Cemeteries
- Giles County, Virginia Cemeteries
- Find A Grave Giles County, Virginia
- Giles County, Virginia Cemeteries Interment.net
For tips on accessing Giles County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Schreiner-Yantis, Netti. 1810 Census of Giles County, Virginia. Springfield, Va.: N. Schreiner-Yantis, 1970. Available at FHL.
- 1810 Census of Giles County, Virginia. Beverly, W. Va.: Crickard, 1979. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Giles County.]
- Davis, Charley L. Giles County, Virginia 1860 Census Annotated: Family Histories - Births - Marriages - Deaths. Virginia?: C.L. Davis, 1991. Available at FHL.
Indexes (1807-1936) and images (1807-1929) to Giles County, Virginia Chancery Records are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information
More than 25 genealogies have been published about Giles County families. To view a list, visit Giles County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Friend, Robert C. Giles County, 1806-1956: A History. Pearisburg, Va.: Giles County Chamber of Commerce, 1956?. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Johnston, David E. A History of Middle New River Settlements and Contiguous Territory. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1988. Available at FHL.
Giles County, Virginia Map
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. Available at FHL. [Includes Giles County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Giles County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Giles County men served in the 86th Regiment.
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Giles County, p. 81. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
- French, David. Day Book, v. 2, 1835-1837. Original records, Giles County Courthouse, Pearisburg, Va.; also available on microfilm at FHL. [Book seems to be an account or ledger book for a private business or store. David French may have been the secretary or owner. Name and location of store or business was not given.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Giles County is included in Vol. 5.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti. 1815 Tax List of Giles County, Virginia: Abstracts of 300 Deeds and Surveys, 1806-1830; Detailed Map of Area Covered by Tax Collector. Springfield, Va.: N. Schreiner-Yantis, 1971. Available at FHL.
Indexes to Giles County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Web Portal.for Giles County.net
- Giles County, Virginia Earthquake of May 31, 1897
- Giles County, Virginia Wikipedia
- Giles County, Virginia Images
- Giles County, Virginia UTube
- Giles County, Virginia Bridges
- Giles County, Virginia Families
- Giles County, Virginia Biographies
- Giles County, Virginia Photos
- Giles County, Virginia Familypedia
- Giles County, Virginia Microfilm at the Library of Virginia
- Giles county, Virginia enotes
- Giles County Photos Flickr
- National Register of Historic Places Giles County
- Nina's Genealogy
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 90. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.