Difference between revisions of "Gillespie County, Texas Genealogy"
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
Revision as of 21:44, 5 March 2011United States > Texas > CountiesG > Gillespie County
|Gillespie County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1848|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
A cholera epidemic in 1849 took a heavy toll of the early settlers.
1850--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire in July 1850.
Places / Localities
Access cemetery information for Gillespie County at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. This index to burials includes a surname and maiden name search. Cemetery information is found by clicking on a cemetery name. Individual photos are accessed by clicking on the camera icon. There are some maps with cemetery section plans. This site includes about 3,500 cemetery photos and 50 cemeteries.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
Naturalization Records ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Access obituaries January 1, 1980 through December 31,2004 at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. These obituaries came from two newspapers, The Fredericksburg Standard and The Fredericksburg Radio Post. The Pioneer Memorial Library has copies of Fredericksburg newspapers on microfilm, with issues beginning in 1890.
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Pioneer Memorial Library
115 W Main St
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Phone: (830) 997-6513
23797 Us Hwy 290 West
Harper, TX 78631
Phone: (830) 864-4993
FAMILY HISTORY CENTER
106 E Driftwood
Fredericksburg, Gillespie, Texas, United States
Hours: Th 11am-6pm
Closed: Thanksgiving Nov 25, 2010; Holiday Closing Dec 23, 2010-Jan 5, 2011 - Open Jan 6, 2011
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Gillespie County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Gillespie County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).