Gillespie County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Gillespie County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gillespie County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1848|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Gillespie County Courthouse
101 W Main Street PO Box 551
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
County Clerk has birth, marriage and probate records 1850,
death records from 1902, land records from 1848 and court
records from 1954; District Clerk has divorce records
Vital Records, Public Record Search Indexes from Gillespie County Courthouse
A cholera epidemic in 1849 took a heavy toll of the early settlers.
1850--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire in July 1850.
Places / Localities
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
Access cemetery information for Gillespie County at Fredericksburg Genealogical Society. This index to burials includes a surname and maiden name search. Cemetery information is found by clicking on a cemetery name. Individual photos are accessed by clicking on the camera icon. There are some maps with cemetery section plans. This site includes about 3,500 cemetery photos and 50 cemeteries.
- Gillespie County Cemeteries ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, Stonewall BillionGraves
Naturalization Records ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Land Survey Abstract Indicies Gillespie County ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Gillespie County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Books on Gillespie County ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Civil War Pension Applications ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Korean War Casualties ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gillespie County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Access obituaries January 1, 1980 through December 31,2004 at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. These obituaries came from two newspapers, The Fredericksburg Standard and The Fredericksburg Radio Post. The Pioneer Memorial Library has copies of Fredericksburg newspapers on microfilm, with issues beginning in 1890.
Access obituaries January 1, 1980 through December 31,2004 at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. These obituaries came from two newspapers, The Fredericksburg Standard and The Fredericksburg Radio Post.
- Gillespie County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Pioneer Memorial Library
115 W Main St
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Phone: (830) 997-6513
23797 Us Hwy 290 West
Harper, TX 78631
Phone: (830) 864-4993
(The organization dissolved in 2008, but still keeps a website with Gillespie County information)
Family History Centers
106 E Driftwood
Fredericksburg, Gillespie, Texas, United States
Hours: Th 11am-6pm; click on link above for current hours
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Gillespie County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Gillespie County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gillespie County, Texas. Page 664 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).