Gillespie County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
A cholera epidemic in 1849 took a heavy toll of the early settlers.
1850--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire in July 1850.
Places / Localities
Access cemetery information for Gillespie County at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. This index to burials includes a surname and maiden name search. Cemetery information is found by clicking on a cemetery name. Individual photos are accessed by clicking on the camera icon. There are some maps with cemetery section plans. This site includes about 3,500 cemetery photos and 50 cemeteries.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Access obituaries January 1, 1980 through December 31,2004 at the Fredericksburg Genealogical Society website. These obituaries came from two newspapers, The Fredericksburg Standard and The Fredericksburg Radio Post. The Pioneer Memorial Library has copies of Fredericksburg newspapers on microfilm, with issues beginning in 1890.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).