Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Gilmer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
10 Howard Street
Glenville, WV 26351
County Clerk has birth, death and court records from 1853
Marriage, probate and land from 1845
See an interactive map of Gilmer County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Companies B and E.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Gilmer Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
West Virginia Will Books
Societies and Libraries
Gilmer County Historical Society
706 Mineral Road
Glenville, WV 26351
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Family History Library Catalog
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilmer County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.