Glamorgan Nonconformist Records
Many of the county's nonconformist chapel registers are available:
- in an archive or library
- Published as a booklet, microfiche
- On-line as transcriptions of the original registers on the IGI. (However, many of the birth and christening records on the IGI have had patronymic surnames incorrectly applied by the transcriber).
- On-line as part of a pay to use website
Glamorgan Nonconformist Chapels is a spreadsheet listing a combination of details related to chapels in the pre-1974 county of Glamorgan. It can be updated at any time if new information is discovered. This also provides the ability for many people to add or share information that may not be common knowledge especially for researchers outside Wales.
The following sources are significant research tools but a combination of information in spreadsheet form will allow additional search options. There are shortcomings of one sort or another related to each of these record listing methods. The intent of the spreadsheet linked above is to provide enhanced information and make updates possible.
Cofrestri Anghydffurfiol (Nonconformist Registers of Wales) is another excellent and indispensible research tool for Welsh nonconformist records. This covers all of Wales but with some data elements covered in the Rawlins book omitted and additional detail presented. Although this book was published in 1994 it too could be supplemented by details of recent record deposits.
Pillars of Faith provides information on Nonconformist chapels in the Rhondda. The before and after photos are a treat but the details provided about the chapels provide critical information for the family historian.
The National Library of Wales has the Capeli Cymru database with much more detail than could be provided in either of the books listed above. Unfortunately Capeli Cymru can only be searched at the National Library of Wales. It is possible to submit an email query for a free search in this database but a detailed and exhaustive search in this way is difficult at best.
- Archives Network Wales
- The Religious Census of 1851 A Calendar of the Returns Relating to Wales, Volume I South Wales
- Nonconformist Registers of Wales
- The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales - Volume One