Glandford St Martin, Norfolk Genealogy
Glandford St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery in the Diocese of Norwich and also a village that has cottages for the Bayfield Estate workers, a water-mill, ford and footbridge over the Glaven river. It is part of the Glaven Valley which includes Letheringsett, Bayfield, Blakeney, Cley-next-Sea and Wiveton. In far-off days the ford was important :because the road was 'the King's highway'; the crossings down-stream were impassable when the tide was in."
Today the Civil Parish of Letheringsett with Glandford covers all of what were the ancient parishes of Glandford and Bayfield on the 1851 England Jurisdiction map. Both the Glanford Parish Church (St. Martins) and a Bayfield Parish Church (St. Margarets) are found on Bayfield Hall and its Estate. Both churches were ancient parishes, and both ended up in a ruins condition. However, in about 1882 Sir Alfred Jodrell, Baronet, inherited the estate and set about rebuilding the Glandford Parish (and also contributing to some other parishes) but he did not rebuild the ruins of the Bayfield St Margarets church, which, even today, remains in ruins. (Map that illustates this.)
The Archdeacon Transcripts 1600-1812 for Glandford never mention Bayfield from the years 1600-1731, but rather always label themselves “Glandford”. Then in 1732 the Archdeacons Transcripts label the bill as “Glandford Cum Bayfield Holt Hundred.”
In 1730 it was reported that the church was in ruins.
"The living is a perpetual Curacy, united to the Rectoires of Little Langham and Cockthorpe (these two latter were consolidated November 13th, 1606), and with Blakeney on January 14th, 1743." Glandford becoming a chapelry of Blakeny in the mid 1700s is consistent, with the marriage registers (housed at NRO) for which the catalog entries normally said “Bayfield with Glandford”, but for the mid 1700s say “with Blakeney”.
The Glandford Archdeacon Transcripts continued until 1812, but the number of entries dwindled until there were only 2-3 entries per year; with entries in 1779 and 1781 listing children baptized in the “Blackney” church.
A memorial board in the church records contains the names and trades of the craftsman (bricklayers, stonemasons, carpenters, carvers and helpers) who rebuilt the Glandford Parish under the direction of Sir Alfred.
1086 Called Glanforda in Domesday Survey. "It [Glandford] was a hamlet to the King's Manor of Snitterley [aka Blakeney]."
1558/1603 "..in Elizabethan times the Astleys of Melton were also lords of Blakeney, Glandford and Langham, which they sold to the Calthorpe family."
1600 Starting in 1600, Archdeacons and Bishops Transcripts (chr, marr, bur) survive. See NRO or https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1824688.
1628 A part of Glandford belonging to the Beales family passed to the Calthorp's, and united with the existing moiety of the Calthorps.
1637 James Calthorp sold their part to Sir Hy. Calthorp, Kt., of Ampton, Suffolk.
1655 Starting in 1655, chr and bur registers survive. Refered to as Glandford with Bayfield. Available at NRO.
1657 Starting in 1657, marr survive. Available at NRO (Glandford with Bayfield) to 1745.
1710 Church in the village of Glandford in decent repair.
1730 Church in the village of Glandford reported as in ruins.
1732 For the first time, the Glandford Archdeacon Transcripts cites itself as "Glandford with Bayfield". Prior to this each transcript bill was labeled "Glandford".
1743 Glandford a chapelry of Blakeney. Lord of Glandford was James Calthorp, but after passed to the Jodrell family.
1745 Marr registers at NRO now say "with Blakeney"
1820 Enclosure Act, 1820. Blakeney, Wiveton, Glandford. (Available Norfolk Public Library Control No. NL00019920.
1824 J B Ladbrooke drawing of Glandford Parish church shows the church in ruins.
1839 Letheringsett (St. Andrew's) Parish register has baptism entry for a child whose parents abode was listed as Letheringsett, but references Glandford as an addendum to the mothers name. (Style of entry doesn't suggest illligetimacy.)
1840 Church at Glandford partially rebuilt.
1875 Glandford St Martins Church partially rebuilt.
1880 "A watercolour of about 1880 shows the chancel with a temporary roof so that Sunday services could be held."
1882 "Bayfield Hall and its Estate, which encompasses much of the land in and around the village of Glandford, was inherited in 1882 by the late Sir Alfred Jodrell, Baronet. Sir Alfred was a gentleman of great generosity who set about almost entirely rebuilding the village"--with the exception of one original farmhouse and a few cottages. It is also curious that Jodrell restored Glandford and contributed to Saxlingham and Salle parishes, he didn't restore St. Margarets Church which was also on his Bayfield estate. There used to be some cottages "on the east bank of the Glaven river. These wre dismantled when the fine new cottages were built near the main road for the Bayfield Estate workers.
1922 Glanford now part of Wiveton.
By 2001 part of Letheringsett with Glandford CP
As of 4 April 2013 this parish does not appear in FamilySearches' record collection index (search feature). The FHL has one microfilm of Glandford Parish records (see below) and that has been converted to digital format, but not yet indexed. Be aware, that even when it is indexed, the time covered is limited. See the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) link to locate materials covering extended dates.
"England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812." Images. FamilySearch. There many missing years in this collection. Missing years include: 1605-1606, 1609-1622, 1624-1635, 1637-1665, 1669-1671, 1676-1677, 1681, 1684-1685, 1689-1691, 1693-1695, 1698-1705, 1707-1709, 1711-1712, 1715-1720, 1722-1730, etc.
| Baptisms 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1812 Marriages 1607, 1668-1736 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1809
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526777 Item 9
post 1837 registration events may be searched online at Free BMD
- Erpingham 1837-1935
- Glandford with Letheringsett 1935-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- George, Wilfrid. Footpath map of Holt : with Cley and Blakeney (contain Glandford, Letheringsett) ISBN NL00146942. See Norfolk Public Library.
Poor Law Unions
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/glandford-st-martin/ for information about the parish
http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Glandford/glandford.html parish website Glaven Valley Benefice website
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50981 British History online
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/ link to Norfolk Baptism Project
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found