Glasgow, Scotland Old Parochial Records
The original Church of Scotland 'old parochial records' for Glasgow, and digital images of them, are available at the Glasgow City Archives, Mitchell Library, in Glasgow.
The records are also available on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City. Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish, with their film number.
Established Church—Old Parochial Records
|Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|1860-1886 - neglected entries||1042977|
|1800-1819 - index A-M||1042977|
|1800-1819 - index M-Z||1042978|
|1820-1834 - index A-Z||1042978|
|1835-1839 - index A-O||1042978|
|1835-1839 - index O-Z||1042979|
|1840-1854 - index A-Z|
|Years Covered||FHL Fillm Number|
|1820-1854 - index-males A-Z||1042980|
|1820-1854 - index-females A-Q||1042980|
|1820-1854 - index-females R-Z||1042981 item 1|
|Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|Deaths:||1699-1723 - City of Glasgow||1042943 item 3|
|1726-1772 - City of Glasgow||1042944 items 1-4|
|1760-1778 - High Church-part duplicate||1042945 item 1|
|1783-1818 - High Church||1042945 items 2-3|
|1818-1837 - High Church||1042946|
|1837-1846 - High Church||1042974|
|1846-1854 - High Church||1042975 items 1-2|
|1848-1854 - High Church - index only||1042981 item 2|
|Burials Index:||1699-1854 - High Church||FHL CD-ROM # 3819 (see http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk)|
|Deaths:||1792-1814 - Calton||1042975 item 3|
|1814-1854 - Calton||1042976 items 1-3|
|Burials Index:||1795-1854 - Calton||FHL CD-ROM # 6590 (see http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk)|
|Deaths:||1830-1842 - North St., Anderston||1042976 item 4 - indexed|
|1830-1854 - North St., Anderston - some dup.||1042977 item 1|
|1776-1795 - Ramshorn, North West & Blackfriars||1040328 items 4-5|
|1795-1834 - Ramshorn, North West & Blackfriars||1040211 items 1-3|
|1834-1838 - St. David's & Blackfriars||1040211 item 4|
|1838-1854 - St. David's & Blackfriars||1040331 item 1|
|Burials Index:||1776-1854 - Ramshorn & Blackfriars||FHL CD-ROM #6591 (see http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk)|
Note: Tron parish was formed out of the old parish of Glasgow in 1602. The Outer High church or parish of St. Paul's was disjoined in 1648. St. George’s parish was disjoined in 1687. College or Blackfriar's church was built in 1699. St. David’s parish was divided off of the older city parishes in 1720. St. Andrew’s parish was founded in 1765. St. Enoch’s parish was formed in 1782. St. John’s parish was formed out of three contiguous parishes in 1819. St. James’s parish was also formed in 1819.
Condition of Original Registers—
Indexed: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: This record appears to have been carefully and regularly kept throughout.
Marriages: Portion of the page at May 1616 and at January 1619 are torn off. There are no entries, except a few for 1656–1660, April 1654–June 1660. Prior to October 1756, the entries contain merely the names of the persons married. After October 1756, the trade or profession of the bridegroom and the name and designation of the bride’s father are frequently stated.
Deaths: The burial registers for the city of Glasgow are in the custody of the registrar of the High Church District, who is warden of the Cathedral and burying grounds belonging to the Corporation of Glasgow. They consist of twenty–nine volumns. Five volumns described as the “City of Glasgow Mortality Records,” embracing the period 1699–1772, thirteen volumns which appear to apply mainly, if not exclusively, to the Cathedral, or High Church, embracing the period from 1760 to the present time. However there are no entries December 1778–January 1783. The first of these volumns and part of the second being a copy of the portion of volumn four and five applicable to the Cathedral Burying Ground from 1760–1772. There are eleven volumns applicable to the North West, Blackfriars’ and Ramshorn Burying Grounds from December 1776 to the present time. There are no records for these last mentioned grounds from May 1772–December 1776.
Note: The records of births and marriages, 1820–1854, for the city of Glasgow, and also those of the Barony Parish for the same period are in the custody of the registrar of Bylthswood district.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.