Glodwick, Lancashire Genealogy
Glodwick Christ Church was created a chapelry in 1844 from Prestwich Parish.
Glodwick, one of the oldest parts of Oldham, was recorded in 1212 as being one of five parts of the thegnage estate of Kaskenmoor, which was held on behalf of King John by Roger de Montbegon and William de Nevill.The other parts of this estate were Crompton, Oldham, Sholver and Werneth.Glodwick later formed part of the township of Oldham within the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Prestwich-cum-Oldham, in the hundred of Salford.
In the late-19th and early-20th centuries, Glodwick provided a base for many of the cotton mills that made Oldham the most productive mill town in the world. Spinning companies like Samuel Milne, James Collinge & Sons and Bagley & Wright brought employment to the area
"GLODWICK, a district parish, in the parochial chapelry and poor-law union of Oldham, parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, ¾ of a mile (S. E.) from Oldham; containing about 5500 inhabitants. This place, which lies east of the high road from Oldham to Ashton, was formed into a parish under the provisions of the 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37. The living is a perpetual curacy, with an endowment of £150 per annum, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester and the Crown, alternately. The church, dedicated to Christ [Church], was built in 1843, on a site given by Earl Howe, and is a cruciform edifice in the early English style."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 298-301. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50982 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Subsequently a second parish was formed Glodwick St Mark, Lancashire.
On 20 May 1962, following the closure of Christ Church in Hamilton Street, the Bishop of Manchester, the Rt. Rev. William Greer, led members of the church in procession to a point on Glodwick Road where the Parish boundaries met; whereupon they joined with a similar session from St. Mark's and went together to worship in the latter church. To commemorate the amalgamation of the two parishes, a chapel dedicated to Our Lady and Christ the King was formed in the south aisle at St Mark’s. The chapel was dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester on 17 September 1967.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Parish registers for Christ Church, Glodwick, 1844-1938 Microfilm of original records formerly hedl at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
Glodwick is a chapelry in Prestwich parish. It later became a parish. The church was known as Christ Church.
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 47/2/1/1-3, L 47/2/2/1-5.
| Baptisms, 1844-1931. Marriages, 1845-Aug. 1902.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
| Marriages, June 1902-1938.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2355939 Items 1 - 3
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
http://www.manchester.anglican.org/churches/rochdale-archdeaconry/oldham-east for details of the parish
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23747878@N00/97690839/ for image of the church before demolition