Gogebic County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to Gogebic County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gogebic County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1887|
|Address|| Gogebic County Courthouse|
200 N Moore St.
Bessemer, MI 4991
Phone: (906) 663-4518
Gogebic County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, divorce and court
records from 1887 and military records.
Probate Court has probate records from 1887.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1887.
1887--Gogebic County was created 7 February 1887 from Ontonagon County.
- Family Maps of Gogebic County, Michigan Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Gogebic County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Gogebic County.
- Birth Records Table Alcona County Genealogical Society Free membership with registration.
- Marriage Records Table Alcona County Genealogical Society Free membership with registration.
- Death Records Table Alcona County Genealogical Society Free membership with registration.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gogebic County, Michigan page 345, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).