Graham County, Kansas Genealogy
Graham County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Graham County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|County Seat||Hill City|
|Address|| Graham County Courthouse|
410 N. Pomeroy Street
Hill City, Kansas 67642-1645
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Graham County Courthouse
410 N Pomeroy
Hill City, KS 67642-1645
Probate Judge has marriage and probate record.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1867--Graham County was created 26 February 1867 from unorganized territory. County seat: Hill City 
- Nicodemus Historical Society - Nicodemus was an all-black town settled in 1877. The site includes an ongoing project to identify descendants of the townspeople.
Graham County Cemeteries site lists the name of the cemeteries and a transcription of those cemeteries giving the name, date of birth, date of death, and remarks if any.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Graham County was not organized until after the Civil War.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Graham County, KSGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Graham County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Graham County, Kansas page 250, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).