Grand Traverse County, Michigan Genealogy
|Grand Traverse County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||April 7, 1851|
|County Seat||Traverse City|
|Address|| Grand Traverse County Courthouse|
400 Boardman Ave.
Traverse City, MI 49684
Phone: (231) 922-4760
Grand Traverse County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has bird and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1853, divorce and court records from 1882.
Townships have burial records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1851--Grand Traverse County was created 7 April 1851 from Omeena County.
Traverse City 
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grand Traverse County, Michigan page 345, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).