Grant County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Grant County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Grant County Courthouse
5 Highland Ave
Petersburg, WV 26351
- County Clerk has birth marriage divorce probate court and land records since 1866
See an interactive map of Grant County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Grant County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Grant County families include:
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarely. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- [Hyres] Swisher, Robert Edward. The Hyres of West Virginia. Richmond, Va.: Whittet and Shepperson, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 H999a.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Greenbrier County,West Virginia Wills 1777-1962
Grant County, West Virginia Will Books 1866 - 1969
West Virginia Will Books
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tucker County, West Virginia. Page 746 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.